India vs Australia World Cup Final: India and Australia are set to lock horns in the final of the ICC Cricket World Cup 2023 at the Narendra Modi Stadium in Ahmedabad on Sunday. This will be India’s fourth appearance in the World Cup summit clash. On the other hand, Australia will be playing their eighth final. Out of the three finals played by the Men in Blue so far, they have managed to win twice, whereas the Aussies have won five World Cup final matches so far out of those played.
The World Cup Final on Sunday will be a repeat of the 2003 World Cup Final, which was played in Johannesburg, South Africa, where Australia steamrolled India to win cricket’s ultimate title. In 2003, Ricky Ponting-led Australia defeated Sourav Ganguly’s team by 125 runs. Australia will be looking to add another World Cup title to their cabinet, and on the other hand, India will be looking to settle the scores with Australia on the biggest stage.
Ahead of the Ultimate Final Showdown between India and Australia at the Narendra Modi Stadium, here’s a look at how India and Australia have performed against each other in World Cup matches played so far.
India and Australia have met 13 times so far in the ICC ODI Cricket World Cups. The Aussies have won eight out of those matches, whereas India has won five.
- 1983: India and Australia met twice in the group stage and won one match each. Astralia defeated India by 162 runs, and on the second occasion, India defeated Australia by 118 runs.
- 1987: The two teams met twice in the group stage and won one match each. In the first match, Australia defeated India by 1 run, and in the second clash, India defeated Australia by 56 runs.
- 1992: Australia won by one run.
- 1996: Australia defeated India by 16 runs.
- 1999: Australia won by 77 runs.
- 2003: Australia won by nine wickets; Australia beat India by 125 runs (final).
- 2011: India beat Australia by five wickets (Quarter-Final)
- 2015: Australia beat India by 95 runs (Semi-Final)
- 2019: India won by 36 runs
- 2023: India defeated Australia by six wickets (October 8).
Highest Runs: The record for scoring most runs in India-Australia ODI World Cup matches is in the name of former Australian skipper Ricky Ponting, who scored a total of 303 runs in five matches.
Highest Individual Score: The record for the highest individual score in one India-Australia ODI World Cup match is in also in the name of Ricky Ponting, who scored unbeaten 140 runs from 121 balls in the final of the 2003 World Cup.
Most 100s: Ricky Ponting has scored the highest number of two centuries in ODI World Cup matches played between India and Australia so far. He scored tons in 2003 and 2011 world cup.
Most Sixes: Ricky Ponting has hit the highest number of sixes in India-Australia ODI World Cup matches. The former Australian skipper smashed as many as 10 sixes in five matches.
Most Wickets: Former Indian skipper and legendary all-rounder Kapil Dev has picked up the highest number of nine wickets in five World Cup matches.
Best Bowling Figures: Former Australian pacer Ken MacLeay dismissed six Indian batters for 39 runs in 11.5 overs on June 13, 1983, to register the best bowling figures in ODI World Cup matches played between the two teams.
ALSO READ: India vs Australia Cricket World Cup: Head-To-Head Record, Pitch Report, Live Streaming, Weather Forecast