India had an exceptional cricketing year in 2023 as they made it to the final of the World Test Championship and ODI World Cup. Unfortunately, the men in blue ended up losing on both the occasions but that doesn’t take away the fact that they shattered their opponents throughout the year. The T20I’s for India had a not so perfect year as they lost the five-match T20I series against West Indies away, 3-2. There were some bright spots in the squad throughout the year and here’s a list of top 6 run getters for India in T20I’s during the calendar year:
6. Rinku Singh: The Kolkata Knight Riders (KKR) middle order batsman had a life-changing year in 2023 as not only he earned his debut in T20I’s, but also in ODI’s as well. The ever-reliable and consistent left-handed batsman is an electric fielder and his calm and composure in difficult situations have already made him a wanted commodity in the Indian side. In the 12 caps he earned this year, the Uttar Pradesh’s batsman notched up 262 runs at an excellent average of 65.5 and strike rate of 180.68.
5. Tilak Verma: The Mumbai Indians’ all-rounder was another star who earned his debut this year on the back of excellent performances in the Indian Premier League for past couple of seasons. The talented and technically-blessed left handed batsman from Hyderabad has a nose for quick runs and is handy with his right-arm off spin as well. In the 15 caps Tilak earned this year, he scored 310 runs at an average of 34.44 and strike rate of 141.55.
4. Shubhman Gill: The newly appointed Gujarat Titans captain had a stellar year with the bat in 2023 as he continues his meteoric rise and as a poster for the next generation of the Indian cricketing talent. In the 13 matches he played this year, he notched up 312 runs at an average of 26 with a healthy strike rate of 145.11.
3. Ruturaj Gaikwad: The orthodox genius from Chennai Super Kings too made a statement for the opening spot as the batter was the third-highest run scorer for India by notching up 465 runs at an average of 60.83, with strike rate of 147.17. He also grabbed a magnificent ton this year.
2. Yashasvi Jaiswal: The Rajasthan Royals’ young sensation is on course to be one of the better of the next generation as the left-handed batsman has sheer intent and world-class ball hitting ability in his arsenal. He notched up 430 runs at an average of 33.07 and strike rate of 159.25 in 15 matches.
1. Suryakumar Yadav: The number 1 batsman in T20I’s was India’s best batsman in the format this year as well as the star batter from Mumbai Indians scored 738 runs atan average 48.86, with strike rate of 155.05. He scored 2 hundreds and five fifties as well.