David Warner, the star Australian batter, has confirmed his decision to hang up his international cricket boots post the conclusion of the T20 World Cup 2024 in June this year. While the left-handed batter has already quit Tests and ODIs, he is continuing to ply his trade in the shortest format in international cricket, one which he announced he will leave post the marquee ICC event in USA and West Indies.
Warner confirmed his decision post the third T20I against West Indies. The soutpaw was pretty much the lone warrior for Australia in the third T20I as he scored 81 off 49 deliveries in Australia’s unsuccessful attempt to chase down 221. But since the Aussies had already taken an unassailable 2-0 lead, they finished as the winners of he series 2-1 with West Indies earning a consolatory 37-run victory.
Also On ABP LIVE | AUS vs WI 3rd T20I: Spencer Johnson Stuns Andre Russell With Nasty Bouncer – WATCH
Time For Youngsters To Come Through: David Warner
While re-affirming that he has made up his mind to give up international cricket post the T20 World Cup 2024, Warner said that it was time for youngsters to come through.
“It was good to have a break and play the franchise stuff. I’ve got a lot of time off after the New Zealand series, go to the IPL before we embark on a World Cup in the Caribbean. Was quite surprised an opening bowler 145kph and swings it not trying to get me out. Go the Caribbean, the boundaries aren’t too big there. I’m well and truly done, it’s time for the youngsters to come through and show their talent,” the 37-year-old, who was adjudged the Player Of the Series with 173 runs from 3 innings, said at the post-match press conference.
As far as Australian men’s cricket team is concerned, post the conclusion of the West Indies series, their next assignment will be the three-match T20I against New Zealand beginning on February 21 (Wednesday).